Electronic Entertainment Expo (known as E3 because, well, you get it) was a cracker this year, with over 69,000 people attending the Los Angeles Convention Centre during June 12th – 14th. Millions more watched via the magic of the internet.
It’s owned and produced by the who’s who of the U.S. video game industry: the Entertainment Software Association (their members include Blizzard, Epic Games, Bethesda, just to name a few) boasting more than 200 exhibitors and 3,250 for this years show.
On top of this, the ESA offer competitions like ‘College Game Competition’ which focus on supporting college aged developers. I had an idea for a card game set in space (I haven’t made it yet – don’t steal my idea).
Fun fact: the first E3 was held in 1995 (which boasted the great consoles like Sony Playstation, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis). You can watch an overview here – featuring the classic 90s random zooming montages, the 90s were a simpler time.
So what’s the tea on E3 2018? Not to worry, Luna’s got all the news for you and on-point opinions.
Let’s delve in by companies:
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate – crossover fighter featuring EVERY fighter from EVERY Smash game in history. Crazy!
- Hollow Knight for the Switch (I’ve heard good things about this game)
- Fortnite for the Switch, and it’s available now!
- Fire emblem: Three Houses for Switch (I haven’t played the original but the trailer looks good)
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC (this game never really appealed to me)
Watch the full Nintendo show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF8NK2pZK3A
- Last of Us Part 2 – part one was awesome – part 2 looks on par, plus LGBT representation is a win!
- Nioh 2 – three words – lots of FIRE!
- Spider-man, I am so hyped for this game! So many superhero games have been sub-par but my spidey senses are tingling right now (I’ve been meaning to see a doctor about that…)
- Ghost of Tsushima – Set in feudal Japan, it’s an open world game featuring Samurai’s (naturally). The gameplay and graphics look really nice, but I’m not sure how to feel about this one until it comes out.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 – Pirates of the Caribbean world, it’s just… weird? But pirates ARRRR cool (get it?)
- Control – a third person action game with a female lead (yay for female leads! it seems like this type of game has been done over and over again, but with a difference, like anti gravity and building shifting – think the ‘Inception’ movie)
- Déraciné – No, I don’t know how to pronounce it either. This one’s a VR game, set in the past and looks kinda creepy. I love creepy games though.
- Resident Evil 2 remastered – I never played the first, but for those keen for it, it comes out 25th Jan 2019.
- Death Stranding – I don’t even know what type of game it is, sci-fi? Horror? Dystopian? Time will tell on this one.
Watch the full sony show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqAVdqh91eA
- Elder Scrolls: Blades is officially on its way, and on MOBILE? Well, my bathroom breaks are going to be significantly longer now. Sorry, not sorry.
- Fallout 76 – although not a surprise, as it was teased on the Bethesda Twitch stream days before E3. Thanks for putting the song ‘Country Roads’ my head, Bethesda. (Side note: On July 4, Bethesda are donating the proceeds of the song downloads to the ‘Habitat for Humanity’ charity!)
- The real surprise were the details: online multiplayer, with multi-platform solo play (console plebs rejoice!) and you get a wearable hat with a pre purchase. (Don’t judge me, cosplay is expensive) with the the launch date on November 14th 2018.
- Doom eternal – the sequel to the 2016 game. Looking forward to this one!
- Starfield – It’s first new IP (intellectual property) in 25 years. Anything space themed is a yes from me.
- Wolfenstein Sequel ‘Youngblood’ announced for 2019 – set in the 80’s!
- Wolfenstein VR – you can hack nazi robots, enough said.
- The Elder Scrolls: Legends – a digital card game, trying to cash in on Hearthstones success. Time will tell if it becomes successful or turns into Gwent.
- Elder Scrolls 6 is on its way (supposed to be similar to Skyrim) – but is gunna take at least three years to be released.
- Quake Champions – a multiplayer shooter, which probably excited all 10 Quake fans. The rest of us, not so much.
- Rage 2 – Rage 1 wasn’t terribly successful in my eyes, not really sure if Rage 2 was needed. But hey, I could be wrong!
- Prey DLC titled Mooncrash (I approve of the name! However, the game has lost popularity)
Watch the full Bethesda show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV63b6empgM
- Star Wars fans like me are looking forward to Jedi: Fallen Order. We get to play with lightsabers (who doesn’t love playing with a massive laser sword?). Sadly, it lacks the option of playing as the Sith – sometimes I just wanna play as the dark side, you know? Releasing ‘Holiday’ 2019. I think that means December? Americans are weird.
- Anthem – a sci-fi action RPG featuring changeable exosuits, hyped for this one!
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 – awesome upgrades like new squad system, news maps and heroes from the Clone Wars. Finally I can play as General Grevious!
- Sea of Solitude – I am a huge fan of indie games and talking about mental health. This game combines both, I am very excited for this one.
- Unravel 2 – I personally haven’t played the first one, but it looks cute as heck. This one is a 2 player co op where the main characters are made out of yarn!
- Battlefield V – battle royale mode. Some of you will disagree with me, but i’m getting a little tired of battle royale modes. Although I really enjoy Battlefield games as a whole.
Watch the full EA show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKth75c4bg
What did you think? Did you agree with my opinions?
Stick around for next week’s article about Part 2 of the expo – where I talk about shows from Square Enix, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Epic Games and Facebook Streaming!
Aim for the stars,
Check out Luna’s Tribefire page!
Find out more about E3 2018 by clicking here.